In Person Worship has resumed with Mask and Social Distancing. Mask are available if needed.
St. John Lutheran Church - Lindenau, Texas
St. John Lutheran Church at Lindenau was organized on August 10, 1902. Area citizens interested in forming a Lutheran Church met with the Rev. W.B. Utesch of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Cuero, Texas. The first services were held in the homes of John Arndt, Henry Duevel and Peter Roggenkamp, where interested persons would gather for worship. Pastor Utesch agreed to serve the congregation by conducting two Sunday evening services each month for a salary of $75.00 annually. At that time the services were held at the Lindenau schoolhouse.
Charter members were John Arndt, John DeReese, Heinrich Duevel, John Leubert, Heinrich C. Mueller, Rudolph Regner, William Regner, Peter Roggenkamp, John Stuetzel, Gerhard Warling and Paul Wehmann.
In 1905 the congregation purchased 5 acres of land from John Rogge at $60.00 an acre. A portion of the land was divided into cemetery lots. The Lindenau Community Cemetery was dedicated on November 26, 1905.
In 1907 a building committee was formed to begin plans for a church building. Caruther and Anderson Company of Yorktown, Texas constructed the church building at a cost of $2,200.00. The size of the church was 32’ x 48’ with a 65 ft. steeple. The Church building was completed and dedicated on October 12, 1913. In 1920 a church bell was purchased from St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Shiner, Texas for $250.00.
The Ladies Aid Society (now know as WELCA – Women of the ELCA) was formed in the early 1920’s with 12 members.
Between the years of 1927-1929 a new altar, pulpit, lectern and stained glass windows were installed for a cost of $2,200.00.
In 1930 the Congregation became affiliated with The American Lutheran Church. The worship services were conducted in the German language until 1955.
In 1933 the Fellowship Hall was built with most of the funds coming from the Ladies Aid Society for a cost of $2,000.00.
On August 11, 2002 St. John Lindenau celebrated its 100th Anniversary with Christ. As of 2016 the congregation has been together for 114 years.
2020 Lindenau Council Members
Nancy Arndt, President
Michael Arndt, Vice-President
Brenda Arndt, Treasurer
June Guenther, Secretary
Eileen Barth, President
Dorothy Arndt, Vice-President
Shanna Burge, Secretary/Treasurer
Copyright© 2011 Victoria Web Design