In Person Worship has resumed with Mask and Social Distancing. Mask are available if needed.
St. John Lutheran Church - Westhoff, Texas
St. John Lutheran Church is located in Westhoff, Texas. Westhoff is on U.S. Highway 87 near the Gonzales county line fourteen miles from Cuero in far northwestern DeWitt County.
St. John Lutheran Church was founded on March 29,1908 in Westhoff by five members and Rev J.F. Christiansen. The birthplace of the church as well as the first services were in a dance hall. Other services were held in saloons and under an oak tree. In 1913 a devastating fire in Westhoff destroyed thirteen businesses. Without a cent in hand, the congregation resolved to build a simple church. A four board walled church (without inside finishing) was dedicated in November, 1908. In 1914 the tower and bell were dedicated and by 1916 the inside of the church was finished with a 16 foot addition. The parsonage was bought in 1929 and the Parish Hall was built in 1949. A new parsonage was purchased in l996. The latest renovations were made in 2008 in preparation for the 100th anniversary.
During the first 100 years, 612 people were baptized, 233 couples were married, 641 individuals were confirmed and 383 were buried. At present there are 104 baptized members and 95 confirmed members. Besides weekly worship services, there are other special events such as Easter sunrise breakfast, Plant Schwap, Special Singing, Special Dinners honoring new members, graduates, and senior citizens.
Join us for our Sunday Worship or any of our Special Events.
2020 Westhoff Council
David Cornelius - President
Raymond Schulle - Vice President
Lynette Schlenker - Secretary
Harland Schlenker - Treasurer
Sue Hilbrich, President
Earlene Montgomery, Vice President
Judy Schlenker, Secretary
Betty Warren, Treasurer
Copyright© 2011 Victoria Web Design